I think it's difficult to "teach" people you refer to as "trance kiddies"
without sounding like a "pompous asshole" because you will, most likely, be
seen as a pompous asshole unless you first respect the level that the
"trance kiddies" are at.  Just because someone likes trance music doesn't
mean that their taste in music is limited - you don't like trance - that's
a limitation too.  When ever I have attempted to "teach" someone about
techno it falls on deaf ears - no one wants to hear the Gospel According to
#1 Techno Fan. It's better to inform someone about the ENTIRE history of
electronic music is by letting them see something like the Modulations film
- make it entertaining. That way they learn a little bit of what _you_ want
them to learn, plus learn about the context of the music as well.  Give 'em
a good book to read like Ecstasy Generation or the All Music Guide to
Electronica - then maybe later Techno Rebels. I think for most readers you
have to go into the latter book with some curiosity about techno. Of course
there is the chance that they may never like techno -  there are lots of
nice people who don't.

MEK

                    Derek VerLee

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:     313@hyperreal.org

                    ermi.net>            cc:

                                         Subject:     [313] educating the
kiddies
                    01/28/02

                    02:25 PM

Any good tips on educating "trance kiddies" (or anyone with a seeminly
limited or superficial  taste in electronic music) about the broader
world of techno and electronic must, without coming across as a pompous
asshole?  I'm sure most of you have encountered the situation, and its
difficult not to start into how much the people they listen to suck and
why.

(Of course part of the difficulty is that most of us _are_ somewhat
elitist :)...)

_derek

(yet anouther can of worms)