Just to comment briefly on taking what Jaun Atkins says to heart, I was
wondering
if anyone read the Spin interview with him a few years back.  I lost the issue
but it
was in 1997, I think.  Derrick May was also in the issue, there was a picture
of him in
a white top and pants taken in California, I think.  What I remember most about
the
article, and what shocked me the most was that Atkins was upset about the fact
that
white kids shopping in his record store were buying techno but the black kids
were
buying the ghetto-tech, booty stuff.
    He also was complaining about how he didn't like the way Richie Hawtin began
throwing parties.  He basically blamed Hawtin for making techno music for white
people
while he was stuck in Europe, poor boy, making money.
    I've lived in and around Detroit all my life (besides a year in New York)
and I am
certainly aware that race relations here are deplorable but it seemed to me
that he was
condoning the black-white hate.  Yes, it is very possible that the things he
said were
out of context but if that were true I would have expected to have heard public
discussions about it.  Maybe on WDET or something.  Maybe there was but I
wasn't paying
enough attention.
    At any rate, this article made me lose respect for him.  Anyone who can
enlighten
me with information showing my impressions to be false is much appreciated.

Luna