What they normally do is pull out a quirky record, or a favourite, something
special - this is what I notice Derrick does. Stacey pulled out a drum 'n'
bass record once, he dug real deep to find it. These were at the Innovator
parties here and the promoter Richard M always instructed his staff to let
the DJ go over if he wanted to and to allow them do an encore. It's a
symbolic thing and it's a nice gesture - DJ etiquette!. It's in the context
of the night. In text it may sound strange.  It's not as naff as below, it's
like the music stops, people holla, 'one more, one more' and the DJ finally
relents and maybe plays a track or mixes for a few more minutes, this way
the crowd thanks the DJ and the DJ thanks the crowd, it's about the love,
man! It's often spontaneous and fits in with the mood of the night -
especially when you consider at the end of a 3 hour set the loyal kids are
remaining. I guess it depends on how you view the DJ - as a performer/shaman
or just some MF playing records.

<313@hyperreal.org>