I don't know about elsewhere but encores are traditional in Australia. It
gives people the chance to give props to the DJ. If there's no screaming for
encores, it's seen as a diss to the DJ. Jeff Mills, Derrick, Stacey, all
have done them. And lo behold local DJs coming on after who don't give the
DJ a chance to do them..... Then it's ice grill time. People leave.