If I'm not mistaken, the whole environment that Techno sprang from was
elitist Social Clubs run by teens unusually interested in high fashion,
naming parties after Clothing stores, fer chrissakes. (Sharivari,
anyone?) What's happening in New York is not all that different; folks
are just not in High School while they're doing it, and the bands
playing are more refined. It doesn't help that they (We) live in the
News Media capital of the Free World, New York City.

PS, I did a party with Adult almot two years ago that filled to capacity
a pretty big venue. Perspects nearly did the same, as did Ectomorph (on
a wednesday night for that one). I think the Detroit artists are fairly
popular in New York.

>>>From my NYC friends I get the impression that the Detroit artists
aren't nearly as popular as the NY native types, or Felix and Miss
Kittin.
They aren't nearly glamorous enough.  And you have to remember that
this is NYC where they judge musicians by how amusing they are when
you're
loaded to the gills on cocaine and downing $20 cocktails...