Original Message:
-----------------
From: Cyborg K [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 15:27:54 +0000
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: RE: [313] Is Electronic Music dying? (was: Re: The committee vs. Carl
Craig)

Actually you touched on something that disturbed me greatly, the difference
in crowds between Demf 1 & 2.  It was the sight of such a diverse crowd
after the first Demf, all enjoying themselves and digging on the music, that
made it really seem like a landmark to me.  That diversity seemed to be lost
at the second Demf, and I'm curious as to why this was the case?  Anyone
have any thoughts on this?

that's pretty easy (imo) ..last year people raved about how great it was and so
it attracted a large element of scenesters..now every idiot from missouri is
showing up

In general, I thought that there was a preponderence of ravers at the last
festival who didn't necessarily know what they had even come to see.

yes..the first year we had people coming up to us telling us it was great to
see people in UR gear, the second it was asking who they were

The
worst thing that could happen is that curious locals won't attend because
they percieve it to simply be some kind of "rave" thing.

On the other hand, thank God for the afterparties which more and more look
like they will become the real focus.

I will be very sad if I know longer see some of the great artists out with
their kids in strollers...

I don't think that we should lose site of the fact that the detroit artists
spent decades being undervalued and now their name is being institutionalized
in this city, and are you really that suprised that it is being co-opted?

-k

re: the post about certain types of music attracting teenagers it's called
teenage angst, pick up a sisters of mercy cd sometime ;)