(a fwd from Lenny Burden of 430west/Direct Beat)

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the forward from the 313. Please forward the following to the list:

We have Direct Beat on hiatus at the moment. We kind of felt that we lost direction (no pun intended) with the label, and lost the real purpose why we started the thing in the first place. Back when we started, there were great producers, making some great music, (much of it 'electro'), that no label in the world was paying attention to. It did quite fit on 430 West (we tried it with 4w-190 Aux 88 "Bass Magnetic"), but it needed to be heard. There was no outlet for these people who made the music, and we also got tired of hearing the "Detroit doesn't play techno" line. We think we accomplished our goals in re-exposing this sound, since the whole dance world is now laying claim to it. We kick started some careers along the way, so we have some things to feel good about. Just think, we couldn't give away our first 'electro' record on DB (outside of Detroit), Aux 88 'Technology' is now refered to as a classic. Who would thought it?

We have refocused our attention on our music, 'Octave One', and on 430 West as a label. For a while there, we were we were too focused on the 'business' and not the 'music'.

We will probably do somethings with DB in the future (never say never), but we have no plans to repress the back catalog or release any new records right now.

Thanks to everyone who supported the label.

-Lenny Burden