Memo from Alex Bond of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Hmm, books of this sort are a bit hit and miss and very much depend on the
authors opinions. I just finished reading a new-ish book about Talking
Heads, which was enjoyable, but by the end of it I was sick of the authors
apparent obsession with David Byrne, as opposed to the overall band.

Knowing that this is JUST their opinion is something that I don't always
consider automatically when picking up a book, (as opposed to a magazine or
newspaper article) for some reason I always expect it to be more well
researched and an un-bias view. I know this is down to my stupidity, but I
dunno, I just expect them to be more valid pieces of journalism for some
reason.

That Tim Barr used to be the editor? of a magazine in England, the name of
it escapes me, but the reason I remember is because my mate wrote a very
long article on Robert Hood for it and shortly after they went bust, and I
don't think he ever got paid for it. He was an excellent journalist though,
if only because there were only a couple of people in England at the time
(Magic Feet was just starting too) pushing some of the "2nd/3rd wave"
Detroit guys into the media, and he was probably the most high profile guy,
so therefore his articles were always a couple of pages long, and, of
course I was fascinated to read anything about anyone from Detroit.

Anyway, my point is that I don't think the guy deserves a slating, in fact
I think he might deserve a few props, especially from some of the Detroit
guys who he gave valuable column inches to. Maybe he just bit off a little
more than he could chew writing a WHOLE book about just one band, I applaud
him for trying anyway.

Toby Frith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 17/04/2002 13:14:46

Please respond to Toby Frith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>