Not quite - electro is a relative of hip-hop. What seems to be forgotten in
all of the new-wave stuff is the quintessential "funk" - the African
heritage.

When I said

"I don't remember electro as ever being a means to "stand out from the
crowd" - more of a way to bond with your crew."

I didn't mean the artist - but the audience. With the new-wave stuff it's
the audience that is trying to out "retrofy" each other.

Street sound is not a vague term. Unless you don't understand.

Ego in check.

The Incredible Hulk

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      net>                     To:       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                                               cc:       <313@hyperreal.org>

                      05/06/02 02:17 PM        Subject:  Re: [313] Re: Back to
the Future and the Electro "revival"

It strikes me that electro is essentially any music that is derived from
the original 808 sound of Planet Rock.

The fact that you may not like what some people did with electro doesn't
give you the right to make the word non-applicable to the strands you
disapprove of. Please get your ego in check my friend.

Besides, the style of original electro artsit (Afrika Bambataa, Egyptian
Lover...) was very funny and gaudy and stand-outish.

Please note these pic of Afrika Bambaataa:
http://www.zulunation.com/afrika.html

Also, please don't use vague words like 'street sound' when making
declarations. It takes all the sport out of rebuting your claims.

Signed-

Your friendly neighborhood Spiderman

On Mon, 6 May 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>  From the NY Times article:
>

>  <<Electro is a return to what clubs were like before house music and
Ecstasy hit the scene, a