From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 16 May 2002 16:55
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: RE: [313] Baby Ford / Zip

I think there actually is some truth to this, and it's not necessarily a bad
reflection on European DJs. The most plausible theory I've heard is that
it's to do with the higher age limit for buying alcohol in America.
Americans from 18-21, when they go out to a club, can't (legally) drink, and
so to them it's more of a directly musical experience - they want a DJ to
actually keep them interested throughout the night, and are less fussed
about being able to dance, so a culture has evolved whereby American DJs
with good track selection but no deck skills often don't go down well with
the 18-21 club audience, which is sober enough to pay attention to what's
going on. In Europe, the younger audience is more likely to be drunk, and
therefore less likely to notice an unoriginal or even slightly bad mix -
they want to dance, not watch DJs perform.

If any evidence could be found backing up this theory, it might involve
looking at the more 'debauched' scenes in US dance music history, such as
the Loft and the Paradise Garage, where copious amounts of drugs and drink
led to a culture where crowds revered DJs whose mixing skills were actually
pretty crappy. I've seen certain Detroit bass DJs, with excellent skills,
lose the crowd here really badly because people don't really want to watch
some insane skills, and find it hard to keep the rhythm with a DJ who's
constantly doing tricks and never letting a record run for a while.

In the sphere of techno, particularly, the whole notion of a techno DJ doing
deck tricks has always been a slight novelty - I remember seeing Claude
Young in London about eight years ago, and people were shocked into silence
even by backspins, let alone beat-juggling or crab scratching! I loved it
myself... but there just isn't the call for hotshot deck tricks in the DJ
trade over here, really. The main questions seem to be, i) does he choose
good tracks?, and ii) can he play for two straight hours with no major
f*ckups?

Brendan

Legal Disclaimer

the individual named.  If you are not the named addressee you should not
disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please notify the sender
this e-mail from your system.
mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore does not accept
liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message that
arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If verification is required
please request a hard-copy version.  This message is provided for
informational purposes only.
our website at: http://www.widelearning.com

Wide Learning is a trading name of Wide Multimedia Ltd Registered office:
33-41 Dallington Street, London EC1V 0BB
Company number: 3339664 VAT number: 690 8399 83