I'm a newbie to this list. After lurking for a week, this my first post
(in years... I'll explain some below).

I'm a little surprised at this thread. To me, electro is so much a part
of the fabric of Detroit -- the foundation for ghetto-tech, etc. Anyway,
two cents on nice electro:

1. Hashim - "Al Naafiysh (The Soul)" -- Already mentioned, but worth
emphasizing. 2. Twilight 22 - sure, "Electric Kingdom," but also
"Siberian Nights"
3. Any of several cuts by Newcleus. "Jam In It," may be familiar, but
check out "Computer Age (Push The Button)," "Jam On Revenge," and
"Destination Earth (1999)." A lovely cassette, that was.

Rhino has a four part "Street Jams: Electric Funk" series that is
fantastic. I don't think I've seen this mentioned here.

Tracks that make me cry (or at least still give me goose bumps once in a
while):

1. "Clear," Cybotron. I can't decide between a bunch of Juan Atkins
things, so why not one of the most important songs ever created in
Detroit in any genre (IMO, based in part because it stood up to so much
late night airplay)?
2. "Octagon/Octahedre," Basic Channel.
3. "Trans-Europe Express." Kraftwerk. Also, "Numbers/Computer World 2."

About me: I was really plugged in eight years ago. I was a card-carrying
member of the Midnight Funk Association as a tyke. At my height, I had
accompanied Morgan Geist to one of the Packard parties (before he got
famous) and I had blabbed an awful lot on mw-raves.

I do believe I even met the Marmoset.

But then my career sent me to the electronica purgatory of Utica, N.Y.
and I lost touch. I'm in Rochester, N.Y. now. I was able to check out
DEMF last month on a visit to the folks. Inspired, I signed back up
here.

And I have a lot of catching up to do.

Anyway, greets.

A final note: Anyone have an .mp3 of Mojo doing his MFA rap? (I'll bet
someone does). I would die for that. The significance of the whole thing
eluded me when I was 12 and taping songs off his show.

Back then, radio seemed to suck less.

JOHN KOHLSTRAND
ROCHESTER, N.Y. USA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

No, I don't know Mark Gage, but I hear through the grapevine that his
neighborhood is trendier than mine.

JOHN KOHLSTRAND
ROCHESTER, N.Y. USA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]