Original Message:
-----------------
From: Kent williams [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 17:21:24 -0500 (CDT)
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: [313] submerge.panel

Err, not the place really to debate this, but it depends on the technology.
Technology is a tool. You can't point to a particular technology,

that's the whole point an _individual_ technology was not referred to..instead
the generic word "technology" was bandied about without framing it...by framing
it i mean narrowing the context in which it was used so it left the audience
member with the message

"technology is good"

I think (without having been there) that the Submerge panel were talking
about technologies -- like the Internet and music software  -- that has been
enabling for musicians ...

again it wasn't extracted like that...the rise of the internet and computer use
is very much linked with the increase of what we refer to now as globalization

I'd like to hear more specific instances of where you thought the panelists
were 'pro-technology' in a way that conflicts with your concern (which I
share) with globalization.  I have a hard time thinking Juan Atkins was
singing the praises of genetically modified food crops and The Gap.

i don't think any of them _consciously_ did....i just think it is very easy for
us as people living in developed countries to spend our lives thinking of the
positive aspects of the various technologies w/o having to think about the
negative global aspects that is all i was trying to say..if in an ADD fit i
didn't communicate that well then it wouldn't be the first (or last)

kathleen