It was coined by the guy who started the Electroclash parties in NY and he
used to be involved with Studio 54 (a friend of mine has been in touch with
him and is trying to start something here in Minneapolis). As far as I'm
concerned it's as preconceived/prefabricated as that club was. It has
little to do with electro. The sound is closer to Italio disco/Euro New
Wave synthpop like Gary Numan (whom I've never considered electro... I'd be
interested to know who does). Some tunes sound exactly like that. Electro
is rooted in hip-hop. Electroclash isn't.
But music is all one big melting pot anyway...

that's all I'm going to say
MEK

                      "Robertson, Steven"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, 313@hyperreal.org
                      erdeen.com>                           cc:

                                                            Subject:  RE: (313)
Electroclash - Product 01
                      09/26/02 10:54 AM

Oh, I don't know, knowing it's my first post to the list, and I've heard
people going on about the media and according to an interview in Jockey
Slutt, DJ Hell first coined the term but even he says he's never used it
(mmm, must have psychically transmitted that to the guilty parties then).

If you can stomach it, have you any kind of definition of Electroclash? ...
I perceive it as the collision of electro with pop music but then it is may
also be a reference to punk music, The Clash?. Perhaps it is really
something of both.

The mp3 tracks on the www.product01.co.uk site include a Blondie remix.
So there you go, make your own mind up.

Cheers,