Brendan - sounds like you were thinking abt this before I asked!

... so no one thinks the early Basic Channel tracks were a definitive
beginning of a dub/techno hybrid?

For me, whilst something like 'Lyot's got the sea of reverb, it just hasn't
got the 'stillness' (best word I can think of right now.)