808 State is basically Pacific 707 - I tend to think of their New
Build-era material as passable but generic early techno, and their post
Ex:El material as noodly, overproduced "electronica", but the Pacific
track is an absolute classic. In many ways it is underrated by a lot of
Detroit techno fans, because it was a really early appearance of the
jazz-techno sound that eventually became more widespread after Nation 2
Nation, World 2 World etc, and I don't think it receives its fair dues
in that respect.

If you own Ex:El then you get Pacific but also quite a few tracks which
have dated really badly. If you own "State 2 State" (a US mini-album
release from just after Ex:El) you get a really nice mix of Pacific, and
a bunch of other tracks that actually haven't dated badly at all.
There's a track on there with the strings from Pacific running over the
"Welcome to techno city" Cybotron sample! I'd love to have that on
vinyl...

Brendan