Thomas D. Cox, Jr. wrote:

here's the problem: IDM has gone from being more traditionally techno/ambient based in the early 90's to being a reaction against just about anything they feel like going against, mostly melody and rhythm as far as i can tell. it seems (to me at least) that its just on this course of making music as mathematically "complex" as possible while becoming increasingly unlistenable.

I completely agree with your explanation. I just don't hear these things as inherently negative. I tend to really enjoy music that struggles to break out of its inevitable connections with history. The struggle (and subsequent failure) to create something entirely new often tends to push the boundaries, and I'm often a big fan of things that push those boundaries.

(Now at this point, anyone reading this who's heard my music is probably thinking "Push boundaries? This dude writes froofy tech-house that sounds like 70s disco mixed with 60s jazz!" Well, that's true. I reserve the right to not practice what I preach ;)

> if it kept its
> roots, it wouldnt be quite so harsh and unlistenable to the
> average dance music fan.

I don't think they're shooting for the average dance music fan. I recently read an interview with Richard Devine where he talked about designing systems that would churn out musical material using chaos theory and fractal math. I can't imagine that he's thinking about Timmy Trainspotter or Ellen Ecstasytab if he's discussing those things in interviews. For better or for worse, I think those folks are after a completely different target market than most folks who are writing floor-friendly techno. And I think that's healthy. I think diversity among electronic music sub-genres is a good thing. And I think those weird areas where the boundaries blur (like the early Aphex records you mentioned) are amazing as well.

--
Dennis DeSantis
www.dennisdesantis.com