> heard that robbie williams has a clause in his contract, where a certain
> percentage of the revenues from his concerts goes to the record company.
> wonder how they ever got him to sign that contract?

Not sure if there was sarcasm intended or not, but I'm pretty sure that
clause would exist because it's the most lucrative recording contract ever.
£10,000,000 I think?

ah, didn't know that part, makes sense!
i wonder if they're going to do this more often?

i can see why recording companies are eager to put a clause like that in their contracts, but i can't quite see why an artist would do that.

imho the role of big record companies is played out! with new technologies like cd-rw's and final-scratch the need for a physical copy of the original album/cd will quickly decrease. especially in the part of the music industry world where big record companies make their money.

in the not too distant future people will refuse to pay for their physical copies of cd's. why pay over 20 euro for a cd, when only a tiny percentage of that amount will go to the artist, the rest is production costs & profit for the production company, distribution costs & profit margin for the distributor and retail costs & a profit margin for the retailer.*) but why would anyone want to pay for distribution and retail if record companies or artist can provide for an alternative? the opportunity to download music from the internet in return for a fee for the artist. the artist will make just as much money as he's done when selling cd's [or just as little money] and the consumer doesn't feel ripped off.

so for a record company it makes perfect sense to put a clause in a contract that gives them a percentage of the profit made from concerts. the only reason i can think of from the artists point of view is the fact that a big record company contract will insure that they'll get massive promotion.

jurren

*) cd's are actually cheaper to produce and distribute then 12"s, but cd's are about twice the price of a 12" in almost any shop. so even if math wasn't your favorite class in school, you can see that the part going to the artist is probably the smallest part of the total price you're paying for the copy you're buying.