>> Hogie:
>>Mmm Hmm. I've thought about ways to make a physical recording appealing
>> enough to buy. Maybe even making the recording a secondary item bundled
>> with something desirable enough to purchase? Limited edition Jason Hogans
>> boxers and panties. Or some seriously cool packaging, like Radiohead's
>> Amnesiac or Ghostly's Disco Nouveau.
> Jurren:
> that's one way of getting people to buy your music, but do you want to sell
> cd's/vinyl, or do you want to sell your music? why not offer them the chance
> to download your music from a website? sure, not everyone wants to pay for
> downloads, but would those people buy the physical copy?

I hear you. I guess I feel the trouble with that is whether or not some
folks pay for a download, others will not once its out there for the taking.
There's possibly less incentive for paid downloads when you factor in the
sound quality loss of compressed audio. Maybe not though cause paid
downloads are still cheaper than CDs, eh?

The title performing artist could take on a more strict meaning if it
becomes very unprofitable for labels and musicians to release music.
Recordings for free, performance for fee? I had similar ideas about labels
taking on a somewhat different role of a promotional network or something,
still allowing artists to concentrate on their art. But, I doubt it will go
that far 'cause like you said J.B., there are collectors & supporters out
there.

Perhaps we're tripping over nothing & it will be business as usual. There's
quite a few times I've heard something on the web & copped it later.
Technology could ultimately serve as a filter for ass-nasty music. Scenario
1: "I heard that on www. so & so and it swallowed, I won't buy it.". Or,
Scenario 2: "It was bangin', I need that!". No more hiding behind the shrink
wrap! Could be good. We'll see... So, anybody need some fly underwear?>>>

JPH.