On Monday, December 16, 2002, at 05:27 PM, Jason Hogans wrote:

The title performing artist could take on a more strict meaning if it
becomes very unprofitable for labels and musicians to release music.
Recordings for free, performance for fee?

fwiw, hawtin has been saying for some time now that this is his opinion of where it's going

Perhaps we're tripping over nothing & it will be business as usual. There's
quite a few times I've heard something on the web & copped it later.
Technology could ultimately serve as a filter for ass-nasty music.

already is. the number of records i've purchased in the last 2 years that i didn't listen to online first is very, very small