>don't you mean "your" parents music.
Wow you really do assume too much . No I don't mean my parents music - my
parents were listening to Jimmy Dorsey and other big band music of the 40s
and 50s when they were kids so that must make me - GASP! - at least 30
years old! I was born before the disco era and I grew up in first stages of
the disco era so no I'm not talking about my parents music - my parents
don't understand disco beyond the fact that it's music to dance to.

>and their absolutely right. disco has it's roots in gay club culture and
so does the origins of house music.

and house begat techno so therefore techno has its roots in gay club
culture as well. It's not some six degrees of separation either. House
music in Chicago back in the day wasn't being played in straight
heterosexual clubs - as you can read below:

"While Frankie Knuckles had laid the groundwork for house at the Warehouse,
it was to be another DJ from the gay scene that was really [sic] to create
the environment for the house explosion - Ron Hardy."
http://music.hyperreal.org/library/history_of_house.html

>When I first started recording Chicago house and Detroit techno on the
radio
around 1989 I would pause out the black vocals.

Really? That's too bad ;) Seems by doing so you subtracted a prime
component of that music. I can see what you were interested in (the machine
sounds) but taking out the vocals and the messages? Hmmm. A personal call I
guess....

>Although I would later come to love Chicago vocal house like Ten City. I
was more interested in the TR-808, TR-909 beats you would hear in Chicago
house which was lacking in Industrial Wax Trax, New Wave dance music from
that time.
I remember liking the vocals in No UFO's and PHUTURE but no way would I
have been into disco.

[Not to single you out but can I ask why you are/were so strongly against
disco? As I see it - all the dance music is an extension of disco. Maybe
it's better if you and I take this section of the topic off-list?]

MEK

                      techno

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       <313@hyperreal.org>

                      gy.net>                  cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: (313) ron hardy
track id
                      01/10/03 07:13 AM

>> Maybe I shouldn't dig this up but I do think it's important to keep
> hearing
>> the sounds and being reminded where lots of "our" music came from and
> Disco]

don't you mean "your" parents music.

>they think disco is music that gay people listen to (I've heard it from
their
> mouths).

> When I tell people , kids from my age who go to parties.. when I tell
them I
> like disco very much.. they keep telling me stories about abba and so
on...
> they don´t know there are also good records... they think it is one big
> cheese bowl. Disco has just a really bad reputation with the kids I tell
> you... make em listen to Hardy I would say!

I hear the same stuff about techno except people think back to 2 Unlimited,
and Moby.

on 1/9/03 11:06 AM, Maarten Baute at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I tell you one thing:
> the day I discovered disco and soul and old skool elektro, my mixes
didn´t
> sound boring anymore... ;)
> Even if I play the same style of techno, by discovering the roots an
other
> music I know to bring more variation in a mix.

When I first started recording Chicago house and Detroit techno on the
radio
around 1989 I would pause out the black vocals.
Although I would later come to love Chicago vocal house like Ten City.
I was more interested in the TR-808, TR-909 beats you would hear in Chicago
house which was lacking in Industrial Wax Trax, New Wave dance
music from that time.
I remember liking the vocals in No UFO's and PHUTURE but no way would I
have
been into disco.

> And that´s a good thing I reckon.
>
> When I tell people , kids from my age who go to parties.. when I tell
them I
> like disco very much.. they keep telling me stories about abba and so
on...
> they don´t know there are also good records... they think it is one big
> cheese bowl. Disco has just a really bad reputation with the kids I tell
> you... make em listen to Hardy I would say!
>
> Cheers,
> Maarten

Well the kids that go to parties these days disco is before their parents
time.