So you keep referring to people's *parents* which leads me to assume that
you are rather young yourself. I don't know what my parent's record
collection has to do with my taste in music (which is really quite diverse)
-
My parents have clay 78s - not vinyl - CLAY - with records on labels such
as Decca and Bluebird.

I can see what you're saying about people outside of the 313-list community
- there are most likely more musically ignorant people than knowledgeable -
go to mp3.com and look at what some people label their music as - most of
those who tag their music techno or Detroit techno wouldn't know what
techno was if Derrick May walked up to them and slapped them across the
head with a 12" of Strings of Life.

But Soul has never been superficial or trendy - to badly paraphrase
Cannonball Adderley "either you have it or you don't."

MEK

                      techno

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       <313@hyperreal.org>

                      gy.net>                  cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: (313) ron hardy
track id
                      01/10/03 07:47 AM

on 1/10/03 7:13 AM, techno at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>> Maybe I shouldn't dig this up but I do think it's important to keep
>> hearing
>>> the sounds and being reminded where lots of "our" music came from and
>> Disco]

I guarantee a lot of people who claim they are into deep house or knowable
about disco and funk music your not going to see a lot of
Motown in their parents LP collection.

I met this one dude who claimed he's always been into Larry Heard the guy
didn't even know "bring down the walls"
In the early 90's this guy was wearing a Front 242 T-shirt and a wallet
chain, Doc Martins.

and you people are getting on my ass about this soul trend being
superficail.