> From what I've been reading it seems like while
> Detroit techno developed its own sound(s) - the
> house sound has a hard time crawling out of the shadows
> of Chicago (though the music is still great).

Theo was born in D.C. but actually raised in Chicago... so he would have been
growing up here in context of the development from deep r&b/disco/boogie to
house music, in all it's various and criss-crossing  forms.  You can really
hear that in his mix CDs and sets, very broad.  Detroit house DJs, from those I
have actually heard firsthand, aren't *quite* as obsessed with it's roots as
Chicago house jocks are, though I realize this varies significantly depending
on who you listen to.  I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing, mind, just a
different approach and I appreciate both.

I've heard famous [modern] Chicago house DJs just spin surprise sets of mostly
disco and freestyle all night.  IMHO, you're less likely to hear a DJ play like
that in Detroit, by comparison.  To me the Detroit house thing is more
purposefully schizophrenic, and doesn't usually reach as self-consciously far
back into the historic deep-house and disco stuff.  Another significant
difference: Prince was way more of an influence on young producers
dance-music-to-come in Detroit than Chicago, And Mojo had everything to do with
that...  (Jamie Principal's vocal style and content being a notable exception,
and yes that is yet another broad generalization.)  ;)

I'm not sure when Theo the moved to Detroit - (that's a good question for him,
how did it affect his musical influences?) but I think his sound splits the
difference of both cities really well. His "house" tracks (for lack of a better
word, it's more like abstract deepness) don't stick to any fairly rigid Chicago
house formula like most new house coming out of here does.

Last time I saw Theo DJ in Chicago a coupe years ago he played at a tiny little
wicker park neighborhood bar called Pontiac -- almost an anti-club -- and it
was hot and packed in there, probably no more than 70 people and he was
wringing everything out of that tiny system, it was on the verge of catching
fire (literally!).   What an experience, it was on some weird Tuesday night or
something, part of one of the different many celebrations of Traxx birthday
parties...

peace
Matt MacQueen  (Michigan raised Chicago dweller, living my musical life on
various ends of I-94)