I actually just had a big oak shelf custom made to get my records off the floor. Was relatively cheap - the oak matches my house - and the store that made it knew enough about records to know how thick to make the wood so that it would support the weight of records and not buckle or anything.

The shelf only holds about 1,000 records and I have the rest on another, older rickety shelf but I was able to get everything off of the floor.