> that's a truly excellent site...i like the bit where they take the piss
> out of weedy 80s digital drum machine kicks such as the RZ1...

The RZ1 kick may be nothing to take note of, though it is actually used
on a number of tracks, and Kerri Chandler is famous for layering the
RZ1's kick with a 909 kick for a specific mid-low frequency bump.

However, it's hard to beat the closed hi-hat and handclap on that box.
It was DBX's hi-hat and clap box for a long time (most of the DBX
classics rock that closed hat and clap), and lots of others, myself
included, are still pretty ga-ga for it (I hear you out there, Todd Sines).

A final note - I remember hearing about a number of Chicago jack tracks
whose vocal samples were entirely produced by the RZ1's sampling pads.
Anybody know?

If you couldn't tell by now, the RZ1 was my first piece of gear ;-)

bvl
--
http://www.chromedecay.org