it was a label as well as a subgenre of electronic music
here is how allmusic.com discribes acid jazz

"The music played by a generation raised on jazz as well as funk and
hip-hop, Acid Jazz used elements of all three; its existence as a
percussion-heavy, primarily live music placed it closer to jazz and
Afro-Cuban than any other dance style, but its insistence on keeping the
groove allied it with funk, hip-hop, and dance music. The term itself first
appeared in 1988 as both an American record label and the title of an
English compilation series that reissued jazz-funk music from the '70s,
called "rare groove" by the Brits during a major mid-'80s resurgence. A
variety of acid jazz artists emerged during the late '80s and early '90s:
live bands such as Stereo MC's, James Taylor Quartet, the Brand New Heavies,
Groove Collective, Galliano, and Jamiroquai, as well as studio projects like
Palm Skin Productions, Mondo Grosso, Outside, and United Future
Organization"

also the record label Acid Jazz put out some great albums. norman jay is
more of a roots kinda DJ who plays anything from soul to dub to reggae and
funk and house. the pioneer Djs of the acid jazz scene was Gilles, Jazzy
Nice (of Giant Step NYC) and ppl like Patrick Forge, Bob Jones etc.

mehmet