I could be wrong, but I thought from the context that Ken meant "these days" ....

?

On Friday, April 11, 2003, at 04:21 PM, Matthew MacQueen wrote:

 It has to be said on the whole also that America is not
 the major place for underground movements of any kind.
 Avant-garde music ('cause that's what we're talking
 about) included.

WHAT !?!? :) The Birth of Jazz wasn't an Avant-garde movement in America? In the 50s and 60s in the Bebop era it was not widely accepted by the general public either, it was considered threatening and frightening to most Americans. I consider that an underground movement.