Ken,
I agreed with the part of your post about majority of Americans not accepting
of techno/electronic music (defined in the way most list members would here,
anyway), and Detroit artists disappointed at overall gig and label
opportunities here.  But this second part...

>  It has to be said on the whole also that America is not
>  the major place for underground movements of any kind.
>  Avant-garde music ('cause that's what we're talking
>  about) included.

WHAT !?!?  :)    The Birth of Jazz wasn't an Avant-garde movement in America?
In the 50s and 60s in the Bebop era it was not widely accepted by the general
public either, it was considered threatening and frightening to most Americans.
 I consider that an underground movement.

House music and techno weren't started in Chicago and Detroit?  Last time I
checked those were American cities.  Yes there were European influences,
partially imported by Mojo on the airwaves (esp. to Detroit's trinity of
Derrick, Kevin, Juan...) but...  count up the most influential and cornerstone
record labels in both genres and you'll see US addresses on the labels.

Those who know me well know I'm no "GO AMERICA!" kind of guy, especially
lately.  But I wholeheartedly disagree with your sweeping generalization above.

peace,
Matt MacQueen