J.T.

Apologies if this makes little sense, I'm a bit drunk. I fully agree with
all that you said, and I only meant my 'a tad irresponsible' comment in
regards to Moodymann particularly... in the sense that *his* bootlegs sell
for such obscene amounts, and this is known so widely, and almost everything
he's put out sells out, and so many people have bitched about the difficulty
of getting his records before they sell out. While I totally agree this is
in no way a reason to bootleg, and I totally agree that anyone who *really*
wanted these records could have found a way to get the originals while they
were in stores (except maybe Jeff who was on a boat ;), it seemed like an
odd time to release strictly limited editions of music that is *so* in
demand while that limitedness is clearly pissing so many people off. By 'a
tad irresponsible' I just meant that a label should listen to their loyal
audience, and the choice of that word in particular was overstated, and
indeed a bit... irresponsible. ;)

Again, I totally agree that a label is fully entitled to release as many
copies as they want, but when we see things like the BOC record that goes
for $500 and Moodymann records for $100 soon after release, you know it's
time to press a few more copies - not that a label would have to, or even
that they should, but it would be courteous, b/c risk is so small and it
makes fans happy. To retract: I definitely should have said
'IMHO-discourteous', rather than 'irresponsible'. :) And I'm not trying to
tell anyone how to run their shop, I just intended to mention a
record-buying frustration that I feel is not entirely invalid.

And just to reiterate, I think the thing that pisses me off the most is that
given all of this, KDJ *may* have fully intended to do a repress (and it
seems likely given the speed with which they hit stores post-bootleg), but
he didn't even get the chance to do the re-release on his own terms b/c the
thieves shortcutted that process.

Tristan
=======
Text/Mixes: http://www.phonopsia.co.uk