From: jurren baars [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 7:50 AM
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: (313) New Music and Elitism - Was Re: test

like others i wouldn't mind seeing more 313 music being discussed on
this
list. but unfortunately there isn't to much of it around lately.

maybe alan oldham was right, when he stated in an interview earlier this

year, that techno is dead in detroit.

take a look at the people releasing techno [on a somewhat regular basis]

from detroit: shake, ur, keith tucker, strand, carl craig, burden
brothers
and a couple more, all of whom have been in it from the beginning or 2nd

wave.

new commers? there's a couple, but few and far between. the techno scene
is
still dominated by the same names, house is theo/kdj and a host of
others
[norm talley, ferris park, moods & grooves, etc] and the ghetto-tech
scene
is dominated by the same people that started it out 5 or 6 years ago:
assault, godfather, mr dé.

i think this is partially why some of us here have shifted more towards
buying house, disco, hip-hop or something else, because we all love
music,
but we can't find any techno that's good enough to buy. i know this is
the
reason why i started buying different records then just techno.

at some point i couldn't find what i was looking for in the techno
section
in my recordstore, but i did find hints of the 313 sound in records on
labels like 2000black, or archive. same thing for house, i started
listening
to theo parrish, because i thought i'd give his music a listen because
he
came from detroit, and i hoped to hear some 313-techno influence in his
music that was lacking in most of the techno i heard at the time.
through
theo's mixes i got into older music, and i think that maybe this
[temporary
?] drought in techno land will someday be the beginning of a new wave of

fresh techno, that gets it's influence not just from the latest
succesfull
record, but from all sorts of musical styles from the past and the
future,
or better yet, influenced by every day life.

so eventhough i've hardly bought any techno the past year, i still find
myself digging through the techno section first in every record store i
visit. i also think that most of the 313 relevant material that's worth
discussing is getting mentioned on this list.

picked up the claro.intellect 12" om ai, nice, but i basically only
listen
to the first track on side a, the second track uses a bit to much d n'b
sounds for my taste, but that first track is just stunning.

also picked up the first local 3000 by mr dé and b. calloway, the
calloway
track is the one for me, eventhough it's very fast, i dig the it in it's

simple funky way.

didn't get the local 3000 with that MIA track, and i'm somewhat
uncertain
about that, i LOVED schoolcraft bump, and this one is equally strange,
but
it didn't immediately catch me, but i think i'm going to love this when
hear it a couple times more.

can't wait for the new psychostasia by reggie dokes, tony drake and one
more
[genesis?] the clips on the submerge site sounded great, i think minto
allready mentioned this one.

jurren