----- Original Message -----
From: "Odeluga, Ken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED] Org" <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 2:55 PM
Subject: FW: (313) Broken Beat Requests

> Cheers Tristan. I'd like to canvass opinion from anyone who cares to lend
me
> theirs on:
>
> What do you think broken beat is? Is it a passing phase?
>
> As for me, I admit to a broad stroke of ignorance. Save for the fact of
> hearing stuff which would now be called broken beat, maybe seven years
ago:
> Example: Buckfunk 3000 - The Return Of Alphonso - on Trance Europe Express
> vol 5. Also, some things which I currently like - e.g. Tempest by Kabuki
> (Head to toe) I was recently told would fall in the 'broken-beat'
category.

> .... Is broken beat what you want it to be?!

I find there's three main threads of it:

a) Goya Music, i.e. Dego + Marc Mac, (4 Hero, Nu Era, etc), Paul Dolby
(Seiji, Opaque, Bugz, etc), Alex Attias (Mustang, 1/2 of Plutonia with Dego,
etc), Dominic Staton (Domu and as recently informed 1/2 of Rima), Orin
Walters (Afronaught, Bugz, Quango, etc), Kaidi Tatham (Agent K + unsung
collaborator extraordinaire), Nubian Mindz (who are they again???), Enrico
I'm-forgetting-his-last-name doh (Volcov/ other 1/2 of Rima) and crap I'm
sure I'm missing a ton of others. But basically these guys almost all hail
from West London (notably not Enrico who is Italian) and their many guises
are generally on labels distributed by Goya Music. They also all collaborate
together making it all that much more confusing and they also have Co-op as
their home base on the 2nd and last Sunday of every month, at Plastic People
(in East London ;). This is definitely the heart of the scene IMHO.
http://www.goyamusic.com

b) Folks like Aardvark, Red Nose Distrikt, etc, then stuff like Emoticon and
some of Russ Gabriel's output. Other stuff I'm forgetting here too. Where do
I put Archive, is it Goya or no??? Anyway, what they do is definitely
different than the Goya stuff, although some of it I think points to the
same place.

c) Then you have some housier stuff (plus the Goya folks and Russ Gabriel do
housey stuff occasionally too). I feel like there's so much that can be
lumped in here that is often scarcely distinguishable from house or garage
that I steer clear of categorizing it as Broken Beat material, b/c people
are generally less confused that way - however, when you say broken beat,
this is what a lot of people will think, and they aren't really wrong.
Basically I try not to use the broken beat term so much unless it reminds me
of a and b above, b/c I think that's where it started although others did
stuff that sounds like broken beat long in the past. Gerd/Sensurreal really
spring to mind for me in that sense.

I know I missed a lot of people, but this is my general assessment.
Ultimately I think it's easier to classify than a lot of people want to
admit, but it's confounding because all the primary players make other stuff
than just broken beats.

If all this is confusing, then good! :) My mix will hopefully answer these
questions better than my rant.

As far as the future goes, that's a good question. They haven't stopped
pushing back boundaries yet. I think if they stagnate it will only be
temporary (although the pace of innovation certainly has slowed down some).

Tristan
=======
Text/Mixes: http://www.phonopsia.co.uk
Music: http://www.mp313.com