I've been trying to post this for a few days, but it won't go through, so
I'll post the bit that's relevant to your DC events query, since Sylvie
should've already received my answer to her Scott Henry question.

Not really any techno other than Filler and rare Once Twice stuff (and some
of the Metatrack/Metrotechno crew when they get booked). Lots of good Deep
House though. Look for these DJ's and nights: Darrow's (ex) weekly at Erico
Cafe was great, but if you can catch him anywhere, run don't walk, almost
any night at Red is good, the right DJ's at Marx Cafe, House of Secrets (if
you can get invited), the Blue Room and (until they took partial ownership
of '5') M3 were incredibly consistent - now they do some nice stuff with
some cack (IMO). Also look for Root on Tuesday's @ the Blue Room for a nice
downtempo/house and broken beat lineup. The Blue Room is the business.
Lara's Balto recommendations and general assessment is pretty right-on too.
There's also nights like Lemur Lounge in Alexandria which are run by good
peepz, but I only made it out that far once.

House DJ's to look for: Darrow, Omar Faison, Milo, Sam 'The Man' Burns,
Mandrill, Dj Oji, 95 North, Ivan and Carl, Groove District (John and
Julius - they have a Wednesday weekly @ 5 that is nice), also Brian
Stewart's Wednesday open turntable night @ the Blue Room is one of my
favorites.

Techno DJ's to look for (if you're lucky) constitute my old crew, but there
ain't a lot else techno-wise, so don't yell at me for pimpin' my peepz. ;)
http://www.metrotechno.net  and the previously mentioned Filler folks.

If you ask me, the closing of Yoshi is no great loss, but Pete's right that
they had some nice older CD's. The current selection (of CD's or vinyl) was
a bit weak IMO though.

Tristan
=======
Text/Mixes: http://www.phonopsia.co.uk