the term "soul" had a resergance in trend with the music industry starting
around the mid to late
90's
Soul is only a figment of the hu-man imagination which can not be
scientifically proven, a
primitive concept based in tradition.

> Ignoring for a second statements from the artists about how the landscape
> of Detroit impacted their soundscape, LISTEN to the music.  Do you hear
> horror or contextual poverty in STRINGS OF LIFE?
>
> In NUDE PHOTO?
> In TRIANGLE OF LOVE?
>
> There is undoubtedly some darkness in these and other songs.  But that
> isn't all there is.  Just as techno is solely a reaction to a limited
> vision of what Detroit is, soul (and the blues) isn't simply a reaction to
> subjugation.  I don't think we'd be listening to this stuff if it were.

I hear simple tracks composed on drum machines and synthesizers, 4/4 16- step
sequences.
Derrick May isn't exactly Van Cliburn competition material if you know
what I mean in fact Stings Of Life was more like good production/ editing
skills but I'm glad to
see him establish a name for himself in the mainstreme music community as the
techno pioneer and reeping the awards of good marketing and PR skills.
This nonsense about Detroit techno a way of escaping the economic,
Industrial waste land of Detroit or the "ghetto" is complete nonsense.
I'm sure maybe on a subconscience level.
What was going on in Chicago with house and technology with
drum machines, midi sequencers that Juan Atkins was into was more of a factor
influencing the first techno coming out of Detroit.

=====