> ...is the title of a book I'm reading at the minute, by Anthony Storr.
> It talks about music's function in society, and it's meaning for people,
> why it has the effect it has, etc. etc. It's a fascinating book and I
> thought some people out there might appreciate it. It's well worth a
> look if you're interested in musicology or the psychology of music, or
> even if you like music more than the average punter (as most of you do
> ;)
>
> Check it out here:
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0006861865/qid=1057065396/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/026-2990121-5976458

i'll check that out....cheers

> Does anyone else have any books they could recommend?

ok i found Kodwo Eshun: More Brilliant than the Sun to be pretty good. tho
i didn't know all the music discussed which was a disadvantage. also stuff
in there about alice coltrane which is interesting given carl craig's
direction i guess. the style isn't for everyone but once you get into it
it's inspiring in a funny kind of way. a cd with all the tunes discussed
on there would have been a killer addition.

later

robin...