It's not his party - he's been hired to play it basically. It wasn't "M_NUS
presents Richie Hawtin" was it? It was The Hump presents Richie Hawtin.
There's a difference - he's been hired to be the DJ and not much more than
that. If he didn't like what they were doing he could have left but I'm
sure there were contracts signed and if he didn't follow through with it -
the corporate sponsor could have sued him. So, the easiest thing for him to
do was probably just close his eyes to the cheezy crap and the naked chicks
(yeah, right) and play the best he could, get paid, and go home. As far as
vetoing anything - there are a million more Djs out there that wouldn't
have a problem with big logos and crap who would gladly step up to take his
place. I doubt he had much choice.

MEK

                      "Erin Berg (WPL)"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       "'313@hyperreal.org'"
<313@hyperreal.org>
                      .ca>                     cc:       "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'"

                                                <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                      07/03/03 02:06 PM        Subject:  FW: (313) Richie
Hawtin in Toronto June 30

Ha!  Maybe you can get me in - incognito!  Looks like I have lot more to
learn about Richie than I thought!

It's not confusion so much as curiosity...I just don't get it - maybe its a
Toronto (elsewhere) vs Detroit thing...but I just think Richie, well, he's
been doing this for so long now would have more of a say.  I find it hard
believe that he wouldn't have known that The Hump and Camel cigarettes were
going to hang their bright and shiny logos above his head onstage right
next
to an equally bright sized Plastikman and not been able to veto that if he
wanted. I mean aren't we there for him and his music?  But, that said maybe
it was a Hump ambush in the Toronto jungle and Rich never knew what hit
him...

I guess I'm just not hip to all the corporate b.s.  It makes things feel
less about the music, and for me that's what its all about :)