I haven't seen this for years, but some DJs would tape over the record labels to stop the constant trainspotting (and sometimes set stealing) that was going on when this scene was really breaking out in a big way.

They actually used to sell little plastic record label covers which could be used for the same purpose. The only people I knew who ever used them did so not for the vibe but to "protect" their records so no one else would know what they were.

These people also owned record stores and if they got a good record in they'd keep it for themselves and not sell any other copies to anyone else in order to make sure that they had the good tunes.

Obviously this was back in the days before internet shopping...