> this coming from someone who plays mostly '80s music
> on his radio show. I know your jsut trying to educate
> people but that's so typical why not more
> minmal techno and early '90s techno?

"mostly" 80's?  Really?  I think you mean SOME, but definitely the
minority.  The 80's is decade, not a genre of music man!  And I consider
myself a student, not a teacher.  When you play every single week, for
years, you have to mix it up.  I play probably 3-10 records from the
early 90s in a 60 minute show.  But whatever.. I vary it constantly on
purpose.

You couldn't have known this, but at my station there are also other
shows adjacent to mine dedicated to harder or minimal techno for an
entire show, so it's not something in my broadcast area I feel needs
greater representation, (esp. when I find a lot of new minimal techno
boring/lacking). You would have enjoyed our Bleep techno marathon but
that would bore me to tears to play it every single week, techno has
changed and some of it (gasp) even for the better.  And I thought *I*
was nostalgic for old techno... yikes

BTW - I do appreciate ALL feedback on my show, both negative and
positive. Electronic music to me is too large to stay micro-genre or
"period" focused.  It's just a different philosophy than yours,
obviously.  Staying up late to hear Mojo playing freeform as a teen
inspired me to connect the dots all over the genres/periods... but most
DJs don't.  A lot of people (maybe even you) can't handle it, they want
to keep putting things in boxes that are more comfortable for what
they're used to.

Consider making a website and posting your own mixes consistently, it's
a challenge.  You don't need a radio station to have a radio show.  Turn
that criticism into some ideas and positive energy... fill the need
yourself with what you feel is missing. Many people do this instead of
complaining about what others freely offer. Bring joy to others with
your excellence in nothing but early 90's techno selections.

> I disagree, there's always room for improvement especially
>  if you have a formula that works. Look at all the Detroit
> labels trying to sound like the '80s with electro.

To me it doesn't sound 80s, that's where we differ.  There are
influences, sure, but it's not "trying to sound" 80's.

> And making such comments about pitch is not considering
> this is the 313 list?

I think the comment about what pitch is one person's opinion, not some
universal mandate. I myself think it's silly, as to do a lot of the
mixes I attempt, things have to be pitched way up or down to even pull
it off since the tempos are all over the place.

> I'm just telling it like I see it.

As am I.  HIGH FIVE!!

Matt MacQueen