I agree that in and of itself it is not earth-shattering, but they have
overcome the obstacle of the audience's general inability to connect with
the performer, or better, the performance during a typical "laptop"
performance.
I'd still like to know which you'd rather *watch* for, say, 45 minutes - an
Audiopad performance or a standard laptop - if the music is exactly the
same?

To me, it's quite a breakthrough - because the interaction between the
performer and the audience is a very important, if not the most important
aspect of the performance - which is where this little unit seems to be
tailored to. I don't think it has much strength in the studio - which is
something I should have clarified.

It may be a glorified touchscreen - or maybe a primitive one at this stage
depending on how you think it may develop - but who has presented their
laptop musical performance in a way so that you can see, understand, and
even be entertained by what the person is doing without being a programmer
yourself?

I'm not sure what their goal was, if they were addressing issues from a
performer's perspective or from a spectator's - but in the end I think the
Audiopad benefits the spectator, and that is how you really get your music
across. If the spectator has a hang-up about just looking at someone
sitting behind a computer nodding their head (which from past discussions
on this list is a big issue) - then this might get said person a little
more into it. That is a HUGE break through.

Maybe it is just a LiteBrite - but if my LiteBrite allowed me to manipulate
music by moving colorful glowing pegs around on a board - hell yeah, I'd
use it. ;D

MEK

                      Kent williams

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                               cc:       [EMAIL PROTECTED], 313
list <313@hyperreal.org>
                      08/01/03 06:00 PM        Subject:  Re: (313) Audiopad -
meet the future of midi control

It's a nice proof of concept, but the fact that it doesn't really
make performing any easier, more intuitive or more expressive is what
disappoints me.  Furthermore, it's just a slightly different way
of doing a touchscreen, which is old news.

One of the guys that did it is on IDM and he's a nice guy. I'm not
saying that it isn't cool looking. All I'm saying is that it's nothing
earth shattering.