I agree that in and of itself it is not earth-shattering, but they have
overcome the obstacle of the audience's general inability to connect with
the performer, or better, the performance during a typical "laptop"
performance.

What? By touching a table instead of a keyboard? In both cases the audience can't see what's happening. I hardly see any difference between using audiopad or a faderbox.

I'd still like to know which you'd rather *watch* for, say, 45 minutes - an
Audiopad performance or a standard laptop - if the music is exactly the
same?

I'd rather listen :)

Cheers,
Hans