Wow, thanks for that. I always wondered. I really disliked that second ABC
album. We had the cassette and I have not seen it for years! I just found it
abrasive.
I really get annoyed how 80s synth-pop is referred to as electro now, as it
wasn't. It was New Wave or New Romantic - (I am feeling sentimental about
that Blitz Kids phenom). Electro was a distinct scene. Not that labels
matter that much...
I really like the early things done by the US outfit Berlin, like Sex (I'm
A) and The Metro - pre Take My Breath Away. Their recent comeback Voyeur was
terrible though. Like a bad version of Ray Of Light.
I am rediscovering new sounds from the 80s...
I think of all the 80s New Romantic records Dare really stands up, as does
ABC's first, and Visage sound surprisingly good, and Propaganda's first
album is among my all-time favourites, though I only got it years later. I
never liked Depeche Mode as much but *every* electronic musician will
namecheck them. I preferred Duran Duran. They were really underrated,
probably as they were too pretty. ;) The Chauffeur was amazing. Their
remixes (or extended versions) are great.
After Notorious they were very hit and miss.
I hear Siobhan Fahey (ex Bananarama, Shakespear's Sister) is now doing
electro, but I can't get the track - Bitter Pills. I've seen it on a Larry
Tee mix-CD.