We hear too much the "getting old" theory of musical taste, but maybe
whether people came to techno through an enjoyment of some type of
industrial music also has a lot do with the direction of their musical
tastes???  Please discuss.

Sure. The old TG/EN/Cab Volt/Mute stuff certainly threads into techno - but bands like Cab Volt and even New Order (which after all evolved from Joy Division) had their flirtations with the whole NY Funk/proto-electro scene via Arthur Baker, John Robie, Benitez, etc...and it might be argued that the latter scene ties more into house. Looking back, the Durannies are quite marked up by the time period and feel awfully cheesy, but then again they did NOT seem that way when those first 12"s rolled out. They were what was new and hot before they were mass-marketed. I listened to old school industrial and new wave pop (as well as most anything else I could get my hands on) and I like a good deal of what I hear these days. Also, people's tastes change as time goes on - I'm not sure how much weight one can place upon where one came from with regard to where one is going. Influences are always important, but any number of factors can influence progression or regression. I used to listen to Raw Power a lot (and I'm not opposed to slapping it on right now :-), but I'm not sure that has a lot of effect on what I like in electronic music. I think people have come to the table through a variety of paths, but it's tough at the end of the day to separate cleanly the tributaries which have flowed into the current ocean. I suppose I could have mixed in another metaphor, but I'll let the notion of using a body of water as a table suffice. :-)

                                                jeff