> >> I'm not denying the meaning or existence of the patois word 'dup'
> >> (I've heard a word which seems to derive from it, 'duppy'). But I
> >> always thought
> >> the term 'Dub' as applied to reggae and eventually to any
> >> remixed 'version'
> >> of a popular music track/song, came from the term 'dub' which
> >> is simply
> >> another word for recording, especially making a copy of an existing
> >> recording.

i recently bought a comp on soul jazz records named the studio one
story. 2x12 with some great music. it also came with a 4 hour dvd with
interviews with almost everyone who is anyone in reggae.

they interviewed an engineer from studio one and he explained the term
dub as when jamacian dj tosted over record they turned out the vocal
track, so some of the dj were able to get into the studio and record
there version with the orignal music and there vocal. some times they
would add sounds from other popular songs through tape to tape transfers.

the main person they interviewed was clement "coxsone" dodd. this guy
is genius imo. started a studio one back in the 50's and recorded most
of the classic ska/reggae/dub artist. he also talked about how
jamacian dj would scratch the labels off records, (this was back in
the 50's) how they built big sound systems, had parties until the
early morning and how he to beat the of other jamacian dj getting the
same records as him went into a studio and recorded his own music to
dj. so no one else would have it.

sound familiar??

--
-scotto