on 10/10/03 5:23 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> ok, just defending manchester a little here......
>
> Fred
>> According to the movie "24 Hour Party People" Tony Wilson invented Acid
>> House

Well, I was being a bit facetious about Tony Wilson claiming this.  To my
knowledge he didn't.  Yes I know what was true in the movie and what wasn't.
I did watch the extra bits also.  But after working with Joy Division and
New Order, Factory really changed for the worse musically IMO when they
started doing Happy Mondays.

My point is that young people seeing the movie won't check the facts and
believe all that they see just like the music journalists who would quote
GPO that he invented Acid House without checking the facts.

> I think I might have missed that bit - either that or maybe you could point
> the bit out you mean? I didn't get that impression.First off, there's a
> disclaimer throughout the film - alot of it is seen through rose tinted
> specs.
> so, I think thats them saying 'we jazzed this story up a little'. They make
> that pretty obvious I thought.
>
>> and the Happy Mondays were the greatest band in the world with the
>> greatest poet in England.  Give me a break.

I think Tony Wilson really did think his poetry was brilliant.

> I think there's a touch of irony there. You know, kind of like Oasis saying
> "we're the best band since the beatles"?
> However, the poet thing. I think he has a bit (small bit) of a point.
>
> The culture divide between the US and UK is enormous - even between the
> north/south divide in the UK the culture difference is pretty massive.
> Maybe it's something to do with living here. I can appreciate you cannot
> relate to it, but you know, I can't relate to a load of s**t coming from
> over there, but it doesn't make it any less valid in my opinion. You're
> knocking something that you can't relate to because you're not from here.
> Is that right?

No, there is a ton of crap here to.  Perhaps I saw the Mondays on a crap
night when they were on bad drugs but I didn't like their style or their
music.  Never liked any of their records.  It was a step back for Factory if
you ask me.  I loved Joy Division and New Order so go figure.

>> The time I saw them they were
>> the stiffest most drugged out band of losers I had ever heard.  Absolutely
>> no groove.  Teabags !!!
>
> well, OK! thats a fair enough comment. Can't argue with the stiffness bit -
> but it was always their take on it. Its personal opinions though. For a
> start, you wanna see where they come from Fred - it ain't pretty mate. You
> could argue they acheived alot you know, coming from round there. They
> could have got into far worse things, and I mean far worse. you wanna see
> what a loser looks like from round there. and anyway, didn't a little of
> that euro 'stiffness' creep into a certain genre that we're all into here?

Yeah, there are pretty crazy crack addicts around here too and the Mondays
did achieve a lot too.  Too bad they couldn't sort themselves and hang on to
some of it.

I recently heard Eddie Kramer give a talk and slide show of fotos..
He is the brilliant engineer/producer who worked on so many classic LPs.
All the Jimi Hendrix stuff, most Led Zeppelin, mid-period Stones.  Some
really funny anecdotes and insights into some of the musician's
 personalities and those times.  Had great comments and stories about Jimi
Hendrix, Brian Jones, etc....  He also had some great comments about these
guys in the studio on drugs and really made a point that Jimi never go so
messed up that he couldn't function in the studio.  Brian Jones on the other
hand.

If you want to believe in the sex, drugs and rock and roll myth keep on
rocking man but remember it's only a myth.

> I'm no Happy Mondays fan or anything (although I have some records), but
> well, I dunno, I'm just in the mood for a rant I guess.
>
> sorry, didnt mean to have a pop at you fred, just felt I had to take issue
> there, as I felt the 24 hr party people film made it very clear that it was
> a 'story'.

I actually enjoyed the film a lot.

telepathic regards,
the kooky scientist