From: Brendan Nelson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Mon 13/10/2003 11:13
To: Phonopsia; john harvey; 313
Subject: RE: (313) public life

        Thanks for the positive messages from everyone about Saturday's 313
party here in London - I think everyone involved can congratulate themselves on
a job well done! As Tristan said, the venue was absolutely packed, and the
dancefloor responded spectactularly. And to think that, at around 10pm, the
venue was practically empty and I'd been seriously expecting the whole party to
turn into a complete flop...!

        The football definitely had an effect on the time people arrived,
though, and so only an hour later things were really getting going. I'd
probably say that, if there was a point at which the night really "kicked off"
(to stay on the football theme!) it was Matt Chester's devastating set at
11.30pm - the BPM and the volume were cranked up, much to the pleasure of the
crowd. I was coming on afterwards and remember being quite worried about how I
was going to sustain the energy Matt had built up!

        But luckily I managed not to completely kill the momentum and the scene
was set for the rest of the party - Public Life stuffed full of people, from
wall to wall, and each DJ that played dropping both classics and more obscure
gems to an extremely responsive crowd. I only wish the night ran longer so that
each DJ could have played a longer set; Ken, Dan, Toby, Tristan, Matt and Guy
each did an amazing job, accomplishing the feat of delivering a programme of
music where the BPM might go up and down over time but the energy on the
dancefloor just keeps slowly building.

        It was also really good to meet even more 313ers who've previously just
been names on a screen - big thanks to everyone who was able to make it down,
and I hope you enjoyed the night even half as much as I did. I fully accept my
half of the blame for the recording mess-up, of course, and I also have some of
Tristan's adapters and a copy of someone's record to return (who lost a Network
EP?). But it was very encouraging to see the 313 massive show its stuff in such
spectacular fashion, to echo Tristan once again - and just *who* says the
Detroit techno scene is on its last legs??? ;)

        We've got some photos from the night as well, which will be going
online imminently. Thanks once again, to everyone who came down, and
particularly to all of the DJs! I'm looking forward to the next one already!

        Brendan