i think that tying yourself to having to use the classic Detroit instruments
is probably a bad idea, as a big reason for the use of specific instruments
was because they were relatively cheap at the time (303, 808 , 909 etc) ..
I've read interviews with Kevin Saunderson where he very much says the same
thing, and he now uses Cubase and a lot of plugins.

I do know some producers that swear by their gear and refuse to use
software, but thats mainly for reasons of sound quality- as you're always
gonna get a fresher livelier mix using a combination of different sound
sources, as opposed to one output from a PC, even if its a good soundcard.

I also know a couple of people that uphold this 'ideal' about only using the
original gear. I personally feel that they are upholding some romantic ideal
that the real Detroit producers wouldn't live by.. I'm sure if Juan Atkins
were 18 now, he'd be using the newest freshest music making gear out there-
not 20 year old technology..

just to totally contradict my previous statements however, I'd love to get
my hands on some of those original bits of kit- but can't afford them!

kev
<<WILD LOOPS>>