Matt McQueen wrote:
>> V/A - A Secret History (New Religion)
>> What can I say that hasn't already been said - this compilation of
>> obscure and hard-to-find electronic gems from the early days is
>> remarkable not just for the quality of the music to be found on it,
>> but also from the effort that's been put into the package as a whole.
>
> Ditto - this collection is essential.  The pressing is so loud and
> great!   Really clean and clear and well mastered!   That mix of
> 'Problems'.. it's not on the Fuzz Dance 12" that I have, is that
> someone's remix?  THAT IS MY FAVORITE MIX OF IT!  It's got reverb
> stop/starts at the beginning and extra sounds towards the end that are
> not in the original version.  I had only heard this mix on some old
> tapes but never on vinyl.   Maybe Commander Bond can shed some light?
> This is an important collection and so well-done, esp. when compared to
> the typical dodgy pressings on legal and not-so-legal compilations of
> all this stuff lately.  Artwork is ace too...

Erm ... I'll probably get turned into flambe for this, but perhaps Alex
could crawl out and talk about the decisions behind the track list choices?

Maybe it's just me being an Old Farte but I can remember back in the day
making fun of "Temporary Secretary" by holding our noses (to make as nasal
a sound as possible) and chanting "Temp-or-rary/Sec-re-tary" derisively ...
just seemed a bit naff to me ...

No quarrels with Liasons (a record I bought new in '82, hah!) or Visage
but then surely something like John Foxx's "Plaza" off of "Metamatic" should
rate, then?

I guess I'll just have to wait for the revival to hit that'll dredge up
unbelievably deserving classic tracks like Joy Division's "As You Said"
(from the Joy Division flexi-disc, Factory, 1980), Second Layer's "Fixation"
(from "World Of Rubber", Cherry Red, 1981), Pink Industry's "Time For Change"
(from "Who Told You, You Were Naked?", Zulu, 1983), British Electric
Foundation's "Uptown Apocalypse" (from "Music For Stowaways", Virgin, 1981),
D.A.F.'s "Der Mussolini" (from the Topac/Virgin 12", 1981), and (pre-ABC)
Vice Versa's "Stilyagi" (from the Backstreet/Backlash 7" single, 1980).

Let me know when you're ready to put out Volume II then Alex  :-)

Related aside: check out http://home.BTConnect.COM/sheffieldvision/trailer.html

Can't wait 'til this gets released!

        - Greg