----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott K Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 5:25 PM
Subject: RE: (313) Alton Miller on Peacefrog

> As for Stories... I didn't pick it up but have given it a few listens and
> couldn't really justifying getting it based on the few songs I really
liked.
> Subsequently I found a copy of the single and remixes of "Shine on Me" on
> KDJ. I like the keys on that track alot and Moodymann does nice work with
it
> as well--the mixes are actually quite different than the version on
> Silence.... Anyway, that acquisition satisfied my interest in Stories...
for
> the moment, but maybe I'll change my mind. It certainly has some very nice
> moments.

This has been on my 'wish list' since I first heard it, but I never had
enough purchasing momentum to pick it up for the few tracks that were really
compelling. It's that rare, ballsy thing - a proper house album. Got myself
a copy on CD last night and it's just finishing for the first time as I
type. At a glance, it seems rather pricy for the few stand-outs, especially
in the states, so I guess I would've classified it as a 'luxury purchase',
but if you have some money to throw at wax, it won't dissapoint at all. I
mean, it costs the same as 'Omega' or 'Shattered Dreams' and you can easilly
get as much mileage out of it. The version of 'Shine on Me' on the album is
possibly the best, and so understatedly beautiful. F*cking tear jerking...
Such a gorgeous tune. Can't say enough good things about it. I think it's
too easy to write this off based on the price. Now that I have it, I would
gladly buy it again, and may do so for the vinyl. It's something that's very
hard to get a feel for while in the store, or through online clips. It takes
a relaxed atmosphere and time in order to really appreciate it - as you
would expect with an album in the truest sense.

The production quality is totally devastating. Everything really jumps out
at you. The percusion just feels so vibrant and the chords are as lush as
any I've heard. Each vocal is trimmed to its essence and lives in perfect
harmony with the songs. I have to say that the album doesn't remain as
captivating as the first tree tracks, but there's never a moment that has
you feeling like pressing 'skip'. It maybe gets a bit noodly with its jazzy
stuff in the middle, but the bookends of those first three and last two
tracks are brilliant - and 5 excellent tracks is a pretty damn good deal.
Peacefrog have had such a renaisance this year!

Tristan
=======
http://www.phonopsia.co.uk
[EMAIL PROTECTED]