The best way to master vinyl is to send a data CDR with a 24-bit audio file
to a cutting engineer who has reference quality digital-to-analog convertors,
EQ and compressors.

When I went to NSC Ron had something like a Denon rack CD player and played
the CD through SAE EQ into the cutting lathe.  I haven't been to Ron's new
place but his old setup looked pretty low tech. He was eating grocery store
potato salad throughout my cutting session, but I don't think that affected
sound quality.

If there's any audible difference between a DAT and a CD, it's because one
or the other of them is defective, or has crap convertors. Bits is bits.
I'd generally give a CDR the edge because there's no problem with the heads
getting dirty or misaligned.

I don't believe that anyone can tell the difference between MP3 and vinyl on
a club system blasting at 130dBA, unless they're listening for surface noise
and scratches. Hell, I can't even hear stereo on a club system, and any sane
person should have earplugs in besides.

If a recording sounds 'flat' it means it wasn't produced right, or it wasn't
mastered right.  When I do mastering, I come tracks like this all the time,
and sometimes they can be rescued with a touch of BBE Sonic Maximizer. Other
times all I can do is bring the levels up to CD standard and issue a
disclaimer.  The usual problem is misuse of EQ or compression during tracking
or mixdown, but sometimes the production is too busy.  The best thing you
can possibly do with a techno record is to make the whole thing with as few
sounds going at once as possible.