There's extensive debates about the future of techno in Melbourne too, ie
does it have one, so I'm not dissin' Sydney, but a lot of that was when
Richard Maher, who pretty much created a scene for the Detroit ethos of
techno here, left os and there was a vacuum for a year.
The momentum was lost then.
I guess no one wanted to jump in as Richard could be back at any time.
He was the main promoter working those acts and putting on large yet
credible events and making them *financially viable*. What remained were
people who understood bang-bang techno and nothing else. Punters got sick of
that and there was a violent backlash. Then everyone got into "deep house" -
or nu-skool breaks - while the techno underground fortified itself.
Now if Richard were to come back the underground scene would be
unrecognisable as there's a new generation of players - DJs, producers and
agents, promoters, etc - and possibly more fluidity between genres (electro,
house, etc) and more of a community spirit. There's ideological differences
- eg 'do we like Freaks new album or not?' type issues, is seamless or
choppy mixing better, is so-and-so worthy of supporting so-and-so or not -
but people agree to disagree and work together.
The old generation of techno promoters still here who did techno are
reaching out to the hard house faction while the young ones are doing club
events, not raves, and showing the affinity between Detroit techno, electro,
deep house, etc. I think the latter is the way to go in terms of maintaining
some credibility. Reaching out to the hard house kids is more financially
viable but short sighted.
The main problem is that the new techno posse are accused of being overly
purist - I think they enjoy playing up the elite thing myself for fun - for
a low tolerance to hard house so you get some fun internet threads on Oz web
sites.