A few random reactions to the big Axis thread.

Techno is big in Europe, and small in the US.  That isn't likely to
change; there's something about dance music that people in Europe just 'get'
in ways that Americans by and large do not.  Techno requires a completely
different sort of listening than, for example, Trisha Yearwood.  Most Americans
hear techno or house music and don't even hear what you or I might hear. My
brother -- who plays violin, and listens to jazz, classical music, and random
pop music -- came to see me DJ once and to him it was 'loud, and it all sounded
the same.'

In Europe they didn't burn disco records in stadiums in 1979.  The idea of
going out to dance to someone playing records goes back nearly 50 years. In
the US, dance music is something homosexuals and weird looking kids are into.
Dance music is perceived as being all about drugs.  Europeans might fret about
kids on E at dance parties, but without the reflexive Calvinist twitch that
Americans are heir to.  In the US, people seem to have trouble distinguishing
the DJ from the drug dealer.

Without presuming to speak for Mr. Mills, I think three things drive him --
the desire to make a living and provide jobs for the people at Axis, the desire
to communicate through DJing, and the desire to create art in the studio.
I think the reason that he hesitates to perform in the United States comes down
to it not being worth the trouble -- there are vanishingly few clubs and
promoters that work professionally on the same level with the people in
Europe and Japan. Is it really worth it for him to put up with the drama
surrounding the scene here?  If you had the opportunities to work elsewhere
at the level he does would you bother?

I think on the occasions that Mills is actually in Chicago, he's here to take
care of business, make music, and chill out.  He enjoys a certain anonymity
in Chicago he doesn't have elsewhere; he can live and work there without
being hounded by fans.  I don't imagine playing out in the sketchy Chicago
scene and raising his profile in town is high on his agenda.

And as for record prices -- whatever. Vote with your feet.  I know a LOT
of DJs who drop big bucks on records all the time.  Bitching about record
prices is pretty lame.  Until you try and manufacture and market records
yourself, and understand how marginal a business it really is, you don't
really have any room to talk. Either buy the record or don't buy it.