I'm really surprised at the full-on responses to this post by Katrin.
Mills may have a conceptual approach but that doesn't equate to being
elitist, I think he's fascinated with the theoretical possibilities of
techno - he's to techno what ?uestlove is to hip-hop. It's not like either
are anti-party.
He is one of the most gracious people in the business, and modest to a
fault. He certainly doesn't look down on anyone. If anything he is
incredibly relativistic.
So he's ambivalent about the proliferation of drugs in the scene - so is
Derrick May, so is Paul Van Dyk, Armin Van Buuren, Ferry Corsten, all for
different reasons. Is that such a bad thing? It's not like he's preaching an
evangelical message, 'do not take drugs to my music'. Many of those in the
scene who don't partake in the drug culture are ambivalent about it.
I am certainly glad *someone cares* about the absence of women in the techno
(and dance) scene - even though on a business level it would be great to see
women supporting each other, not, as in some cases, undermining them, as
that is actually the biggest barrier we face. ;)